Sorry we didn’t get this post up sooner like we had planned! With the end of summer, things got pretty busy for us. Better late than never though! Now let’s move on to Edinburgh!
Here are our favorite things that we did in Edinburgh that we would recommend:
- Afternoon Tea: In Edinburgh there are several options to go to for afternoon tea. It’s definitely a fun experience to get dressed up and enjoy some tea and yummy pastries. We looked at options online before our trip and made our reservation in advance.
- Self-guided Harry Potter tour: If you are a Harry Potter fan, there are several “Harry Potter” locations to go to in Edinburgh. J. K. Rowling wrote the first few books in Edinburgh and got her inspiration some places and characters from this city. We recommend planning your tour beforehand so you know exactly where you’re going and don’t miss any of the places.
- Edinburgh Castle: This is definitely one of the must see attractions that Edinburgh is known for. There’s a lot of history to be seen here. Plus, you get some great views of the city without much of a hike.
- Underground haunted tour: Edinburgh is also known to haunted and there are several options for different ghost/underground/haunted tours that range in their level of scariness. We went on one during the day since Rachel gets scared easily. Our tour was of the underground tunnels and even though it was during the day, it was still a bit scary. You also learn some of the city’s history on these tours as well.
Our tips and tricks:
- Stay in a bed and breakfast: We decided to stay in a bed and breakfast while here because we thought it would be fun. We loved our time at the bed and breakfast we stayed at! The owners were very helpful and friendly. They can help you with what to do, reservations, taxis, etc. It was also nice staying in a bed and breakfast because you get a big breakfast every day that is included and we also felt very safe here.
- Download the Transport for Edinburgh app:This app allows you to figure out busing times, routes, and bus numbers. Buses are the main way to get around in Edinburgh as far as transportation goes. The busing system with this app was easy to figure out and use.
- Be prepared for the weather: Definitely have an umbrella with you when you’re out and about because even if there isn’t a chance of rain, it can potentially rain. We also suggest to think about layers when packing for Edinburgh. The weather is on the cooler side in the summer and can throughout the day.
We absolutely loved Edinburgh and wish we would have had more time there! It’s such a beautiful city with plenty to do. We would definitely love to go back if we ever have the chance!
-Michelle & Rachel