We recently went on a trip to London, England and Edinburgh, Scotland. This is going to be a two part post to share with you some of the things we did in each city, along with some tips and tricks! We started off our trip in London, so we’ll be focusing on that city in today’s post.
Here are our favorite things we did in London that we would recommend:
- Warner Brothers Harry Potter Studio Tour– If you’re a Harry Potter fan, we HIGHLY recommend this! We’re both big Harry Potter fans and it exceeded our expectations. You get to see so many of the original props, costumes, etc. from the movies. With travel time and the time spent touring the studio, this takes most up most of a day. This was our favorite thing that we did in London!
- London Eye– Going on the London Eye is a great way to see some amazing views of the city!
- Tower of London/ Tower Bridge-Whether you’re into history or not, this is a cool place to go to. You can learn some history of London, see the crown jewels, and also get some good views of the Tower Bridge.
- Parliament Square– Here you can see Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, and Palace of Westminster, which are all well known sites in London.
- Harrods-Harrods is essentially a department store, but it’s literally the biggest and nicest department store we’ve ever been to! Not only is it great to go to for shopping, but you can also eat there too. It has everything from desserts to full out meals. When it comes down to it, it’s basically every girl’s dream: lots of shopping and food in one beautiful department store.
- Abbey Road– If you love the Beatles this is definitely somewhere you need to visit. It only takes a couple of minutes to see, but it’s worth it to see the famous cross walk and recording studio.
Tips and Tricks
- Get an Oyster card and use the Underground– An Oyster card is basically a card you use when using the Underground or buses for transportation. You can buy an Oyster card in advance online, as well as load a set amount of money on it. If you run out (we did), you can easily put more money on your Oyster card at any station. We didn’t use the buses for transportation. We only used the Underground because it was quick and very easy to use.
- Google Maps- Google maps is an app that you can download on your smart phone. We liked having it while traveling because while you’re connected to wifi you can download an area to use offline. This way you can still find your way around when you’re out and about!
- Pay for things in advance– We highly suggest paying for as many things as you can in advance online before leaving on your trip. This way you don’t have to worry about waiting in long lines at attractions and carrying around as much money. Having things paid for in advance makes things less stressful when you’re on your trip. We paid for as many attractions as we could in advance, our Oyster card, and our train tickets from London to Edinburgh.
Stay tuned for our upcoming post on Edinburgh!
-Michelle & Rachel